Architects: Tom Thys & Adinda Van Geystelen
Client: vzw KOBN (Katholiek Onderwijs Brussel-Noord)
Advisors: Bureau Dirk Jaspaert (stability), Studiebureau R. Boydens (techniques)
Surface: 2.090 m²
Timing: 2004 – 2009
Budget: € 3.000.000
© Jan Kempenaers
Project support I Collaboration
Technical advice I Safety coordination
Construction of a primary school in Laken.
- to realize 2,090 m² of built surface on a fairly small and complex terrain
- a building of high architectural quality and appearance
- the project must demonstrate a sustainable and ecological vision (rational energy consumption)
- the building should be open after school hours for community events
- the building must be able to fulfil the social ambitions of the school (pilot function in the field of multicultural operation and participatory policy)
The project's main architectural premise was a meticulous integration of the volume in the area. Since the requested programme was very large in comparison to the available land, extensive model studies sought a subtle presence and a maximum possible relation of the new-built volume with the different scales of the surrounding buildings.
During the design and the development phases, the sustainability aspect was given a lot of attention. Besides keeping the site's green character and attention to rational energy consumption, a long-term vision was developed. A clear division between the supporting structure and joint walls, and a sophisticated system of techniques (HVAC) makes it possible for the building to have a new destination in the future.
Bureau Bouwtechniek is responsible for the complete construction-technical support of architects Tom Thys and Adinda Van Geystelen from the tendering phase. BB is responsible for technical assistance during the design process, the layout of the implementation plans, the blueprint of constructional specifications and estimates. BB leads the monitoring of the implementation.
Team BB: ing. Freya Michiels, ing. Els Cauberghs